What is the first thing you do while planning your travel? Do you want to work on a team that helps travelers like you go places and make our world more connected?
Expedia Flights team is the traffic powerhouse for the Expedia group and our flights shopping platform is one of the largest in the world serving over 150 million queries a day and powering some of the strongest brands in the industry like Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Wotif, Hotwire and ebookers.
Our technology operations are global, with representation in US, Mexico, Australia and India.
What makes Flights technology unique?
- We are one of the few companies in the world that develop a proprietary flight search engine which is used by millions of users every single day
- We are moving one of the world’s biggest flights platforms to AWS
- We handle several 100 thousand booking transactions daily and connect with all major GDS partners you can think of in the world
- We collect terabytes of flight data and are actively looking to use ML to show the right content to our customers
Expedia is looking for an extraordinary Distinguished Engineer to join the Flight Search Team. Best Fare Search, Expedia’s proprietary flight search and pricing engine, performs complex manipulations on massive and highly volatile datasets to power airline flight shopping for millions of customers every single day.
You will have the opportunity to understand and shape the marketplace. This role will pursue extremely hard problems, craft solutions and make design decisions which can have a large impact across the company. The systems you design and implement will be expected to meet the levels of scalability and robustness needed for this high-volume and high-visibility product.
Bring your programming smarts, problem solving skills, and passion for software engineering and join us as we solidify and grow our position as the leaders in the travel industry.
What you’ll do:
- Lead, influence, and be a contributor across our entire technology team while acting as an area expert for your team and flight search services
- Primary designer and architect for the continued evolution of Best Fare Search and flight search services for Expedia Group
- Design for high-performance, highly scalable, and reliable server applications in our data center and the cloud
- Produce production quality code and have a strong eye for the operational aspects of the platform such as performance tuning, monitoring, and fault-tolerance
- Design, interpret, analyze and work with large amounts of data to identify issues and patterns
- Contribute to advancing the team’s design methodology and quality programming practices
- Technical ownership of critical flight search systems and services from inception through operating in production
Who you are:
- Functional Expertise
- At least 15 years of industry experience in a variety of contexts, during which you’ve built remarkably scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant systems
- Expertise in solving large scale flight search problems a significant plus
- Exceptional coding skills in C#, C++ or Java and proficiency with XML and SQL
- Experience working in a cloud or virtual environment
- Expertise with continuous integration/delivery and leveraging a dev ops mindset
- Previous experience delivering data insights by querying dataset in a big data environment(Hadoop, SQL, AWS Aurora, S3 etc.) and performing real-time streaming analytics
- Production focus: previous history of being hands on in solving critical production issues that affect our valued customers and drive those insights back into the product in true dev ops style
- Knowledge of airline and/or global distribution system (GDS) preferred
Inspiring and approachable as a leader
Create an environment where people can realize their full potential
Be humble and lead with open, candid relationships
Inspire peripheral relationships across Expedia Group
Passionate about engaging and developing talent; attract, develop, engage and retain talented individuals with a compelling, unifying vision that steers and motivates
Strong people skills and ability to successfully lead up, down, and across the organization
Demonstrated the ability to mentor and grow more junior developers into strong, leading engineers
Proven capacity to establish trusted, effective relationships across diverse sets of partners
- Natural bar-raiser: curious and passionate, with a desire to continuously learn more, which you use to understand basic business operations and the organizational levers that drive profitable growth
- Bias to action, being familiar with methods and approaches needed to get things done in a collaborative, lean and fast-moving environment
- Respond effectively to complex and ambiguous problems and situations
- Lead mostly with questions rather than opinions, thriving on the opportunity to own, innovate, create, and constantly re-evaluate
- Comfortable making recommendations across competing and equally critical business needs
- Simplify, clearly and succinctly convey complex information and ideas to individuals at all levels of the organization
- Motivated by goal achievement and continuous improvement, with the enthusiasm and drive to motivate your team and the wider organization
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.