The Sr. Data Services Engineer assists in maintaining the operational aspects of Limelight Networks platforms, provides guidance to the Operations group and acts as an escalation point for advanced troubleshooting of systems issues. The Sr. Data Services Engineer assists in the execution of tactical and strategic operational infrastructure initiatives by building and managing complex computing systems and processes that facilitate the introduction of new products and services while allowing existing services to scale.
Qualifications: Experience and Education (minimums)
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years experience working with MySQL (or other relational databases: Mongo DB, Cassandra, Hadoop, etc.) in a large-scale enterprise environment.
- 2+ years Linux Systems Administration experience.
- 2+ years Version Control and Shell scripting and one or more scripting languages including Python, Perl, Ruby and PHP.
- 2+ Configuration Management Systems, using Puppet, Chef or SALT.
- Experienced w/MySQL HA/Clustering solutions; Corosync, Pacemaker and DRBD preferred.
- Experience supporting open-source messaging solutions such as RabbitMQ or ActiveMQ preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Collaborative in a fast-paced environment while providing exceptional visibility to management and end-toend ownership of incidents, projects and tasks.
- Ability to implement and maintain complex datastores.
- Knowledge of configuration management and release engineering processes and methodologies.
- Excellent coordination, planning and written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of the Agile project management methodologies preferred.
- Knowledge of a NoSQL/Big Data platform; Hadoop, MongoDB or Cassandra preferred.
- Ability to participate in a 24/7 on call rotation.
- Ability to travel when necessary.
- Develop and maintain core competencies of the team in accordance with applicable architectures and standards.
- Participate in capacity management of services and systems.
- Maintain plans, processes and procedures necessary for the proper deployment and operation of systems and services.
- Identify gaps in the operation of products and services and drive enhancements.
- Evaluate release processes and tools to find areas for improvement.
- Contribute to the release and change management process by collaborating with the developers and other Engineering groups.
- Participate in development meetings and implement required changes to the operational architecture, standards, processes or procedures and ensure they are in place prior to release (e.g., monitoring, documentation and metrics).
- Maintain a positive demeanor and a high level of professionalism at all times.
- Implement proactive monitoring capabilities that ensure minimal disruption to the user community including: early failure detection mechanisms, log monitoring, session tracing and data capture to aid in the troubleshooting process.
- Implement HA and DR capabilities to support business requirements.
- Troubleshoot and investigate database related issues.
- Maintain migration plans and data refresh mechanisms to keep environments current and in sync with production.
- Implement backup and recovery procedures utilizing various methods to provide flexible data recovery capabilities.
- Work with management and security team to assist in implementing and enforcing security policies.
- Create and manage user and security profiles ensuring application security policies and procedures are followed.