Homegrown stories and hollywood hits. At HOOQ we’re telling millions of stories to billions of people across Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, and India. Just like our content, our team comes from around the world, we’re ambitious, driven and unique, we embrace the difference. There’s many paths people take to join us, what links us together is our love of stories.
HOOQ is backed by some of the biggest players in entertainment, we’re a joint venture between Singtel, Sony and Warner Brothers. We build for the customer first to deliver original, local and international content on their phone, tablet, computer and television wherever they are.
It’s an exciting time to be at HOOQ! We are looking for a hands-on Lead Data Scientist in the HOOQ Data Science team. Someone who is a creative problem solver with a passion to deliver advanced data-driven solutions. Once you're here, you will make important, strategic decisions that influence product for better retention, and better experience for our customers. More specifically, you will:
- Dive into HOOQ’s internal and third party data (think Redshift, Python, Tableau, R) to make strategic recommendations (e.g., personalized user flows, segmented marketing audiences, more accurate recommendations, churn prediction, propensity models).
- Serve as a mentor to other Data Scientists on the team and Analysts across the company by leading learning academies and serving as an available resource for all things related to analytics.
- Develop a machine learning/deep learning models for propensity modeling, user segmentation, text analytics, video analytics, churn prediction, personalisation/recommendation
- Tell stories that describe analytical results and insights in meetings of all sizes with diverse audiences.
- Provide analytics based thought leadership across a variety of technical and non-technical audiences to ensure that all levels of HOOQ teams make data-driven decisions.
Who you are
You will not shy away from complexity or uncertainty. You will develop a keen understanding of our mission, business models, and personas. We want you to use that intuition you've developed (both in business and real life) to find opportunities for growth and cultivate insights from our massive data sets. We're looking for a dynamic data scientist who has:
- A degree in a quantitative field (e.g. science, engineering, economics, finance, statistics, or similar). A relevant Master’s degree (or higher) is highly regarded and can be used in place of some work experience
- 4+ years of work experience involving quantitative data analysis and complex problem solving (preferably focused on consumer-facing internet products).
- Complete command of SQL, and either Python or R, along with some experience with Tableau. Proficiency with similar BI and visualization tools is also transferable.
- Extensive experience directly querying multi-terabyte-sized data sets including clickstream data, third party data and raw data ingested from non-standard platforms.
- Strong written, verbal, and visual communication skills to concisely communicate in a way that provides context, offers insights, and minimizes misinterpretation.
- The skills to work cross-functionally and push business partners to focus on realistic goals and projects.
- Experience with distributed analytic processing technologies (think Hive, Pig, Presto, Spark)
- Experience building and deploying analytic solutions as well as machine learning and/or optimization models in production.
- Solid statistical knowledge and analytic thinking, ideally utilized in modeling and experimentation.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills coupled with strong business acumen.
- Proven ability to partner with senior leaders and influence peer organizations.
- High-energy self-starter with a passion for your work, tolerance for ambiguity in a fast-paced setting, and a positive attitude.
- Passion for movies/TV would be a plus!