The Business Intelligence (BI) Developer consults with business leaders to provide business insight, enabling key strategic business decision making processes. This position often works independently in developing custom BI reporting solutions in support of high priority strategic decision making as well as delivering on highly complex one-off BI reporting requests in support of time-sensitive Executive Leadership initiatives. This role also works independently to perform quantitative / statistical analysis and modeling on large and complex datasets in order to provide data-driven, actionable insight to business leaders. The one-off requests and projects will often require the BI Developer to leverage multiple complex data sources to blend and analyze results. Project work involves translating business requirements and creating solutions from original concept, often with little guidance or documentation.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS :
- Partner with business unit leadership to evaluate existing performance and management reporting / dashboards and provide more in-depth analytics on existing and new reports where applicable.
- Lead presentations on analytical findings when necessary, providing data-driven business insight to enable important business decision making processes.
- Develops advanced analytic / quantitative models in support of key decision making processes as needed. Performs proactive exploratory analysis to generate unsolicited business insight.
- Partners with the IT to ensure data is extracted from most appropriate source and is interpreted properly prior to developing advanced analytical models.
- Promote best practices around analytical modeling techniques and data visualization.
- Analyzes business requirements thoroughly to implement BI and Analytical solutions that minimize redundancy and promote reproducibility.
- Act as SME in the analytical modeling space, leading knowledge sharing efforts across the Business Intelligence team to cross-train, increase awareness, and brand analytical best practices as needed.
Performance and Management Dashboards
- Develops and maintains performance and management reports/dashboards in support of strategic decision making processes by utilizing the latest data visualization tools and techniques.
- Leverages knowledge of the business to develop business intelligence solutions. Train business users on the usage of these solutions and present any derived business insight with senior leadership to enable key business decisions.
- Proactively identifies opportunities to improve and evolve existing business intelligence solutions.
- Analyzes data that are retrieved and assembles presentation quality information with business insight and strategic decision support for use by managers of supported business function(s). Present findings to senior leadership in formal settings to deliver insight into business performance and KPIs.
- Emphasize strong UX design practices to ensure a positive user experience with all self-serve BI solutions.
- Provides strong transparency through regular, proactive status updates to Business Intelligence leadership and business stakeholders on all active projects.
- Independently leads active and assigned project work, partners with supported business segments to establish project scope and target completion, escalate to Sr. Manager when applicable.
- Performs any and all other duties as necessary for efficient functioning of the Department, Office and Firm.
- Degree in Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field
- 2+ years of experience
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Customer service oriented
- Must be a team player
- Strong data and reporting skills SQL Server, SSRS, SSIS, Tableau, etc.
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), ETL development and data normalization techniques and tools
- Extensive SDLC experience, in particular agile techniques
- Advanced SQL Skills including data blending, manipulation, and cleansing
- Comfort in statistics (e.g., hypothesis testing, regressions)
- Ability to query unstructured data and build data models.
- Experience in R, Python an asset
- Hands-on analysis, design and development of reporting dashboards and canned/tabular reports
- Advanced exploratory data analysis skills
- Eye for effective data visualization and proficiency in Tableau or similar visualization tool
- A passion for analytics